Lead Undergraduate Research Assistant
Department of Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering
Glen has been involved in research with the Nanoscale Materials and Device (NMD) group since Fall 2009. After training, Glen played a key role in the fabrication of hybrid circuits integrating traditional lithography techniques with self assembled DNA Origami. Glen was awarded a research fellowship by the IDeA Network of Biomedical Research Excellence (INBRE) and is excited to continue research on the DNA autocatalytic network.
Instruments and Techniques
- Atomic Force Microscope Dimension 3100 by Veeco
- Quantitative Western Blot Imaging System FluorChem Q by Alpha Innotech
- ATC Orion Sputtering System by AJA International
- Photo Lithographer
- Scanning Electron Microscope by Leo
- Wet Bench
- Clean Room Processing
- Nano-pattern generation
- Photo Lithography
- Electron Beam Lithography
- Sputter Vapor Deposition
- Manual Micro Pipette Procedures
Programming & Software Experience
- Origin Graphical, Statistical & Analytical Software
- Solid Works (parametric CAD)
- Design CAD and Nanometer Pattern Generation System (NPGS)
- C++ & C#
- Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access & Project
None at this time
Peer Reviewed Journal Publications
None at this time
None at this time.
Conference Presentations and Posters
- Stephanie Barnes**, Glen Purnell**, Hieu Bui, William L. Hughes, Bernard Yurke, William B. Knowlton, Wan Kuang, Jeunghoon Lee, Elton Graugnard, DNA Strand Invasion as an Optical Switch in Fluorescence Resonance Energy Transfer Transmission Lines, poster presentation at the 8th Annual Foundations of Nanoscience (FNANO) – Self-Assembled Architectures and Devices (Snowbird, Utah; April 11-15, 2011).
- Glen Purnell**, Craig Onodera, Elton Graugnard, Hieu Bui, Jeunghoon Lee, Wan Kuang, William B. Knowlton, William L. Hughes, Agarose Gel Electrophoresis for Purifcaiton of DNA Origami Nanotubes with Attached Gold Nanoparticles, poster presentation at the 8th Annual Undergraduate Research & Scholarship Conference (Boise, ID; April 2011)
- Davis G. Daniel**, Glen R. Purnell**, Elton Graugnard, Bernard Yurke, Hieu Bui, William L. Hughes, Jeunghoon Lee, Wan Kuang, William B. Knowlton, Agarose Gel Electrophoresis of DNA Origami Nanotubes Functionalized with Quantum Dots, Poster Presentation at 7th Annual Undergraduate Research & Scholarship Conference: 2010.