Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Will graduated cum laude from Central Washington University in 2008 with a B.S. in Chemistry and a minor in Military Science. While at Central he completed Central’s Science Honors Program and the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) program. Working with Dr. Eric Bullock, he completed a Science Honors research project which involved designing, constructing, and testing a Scanning Tunneling Microscope (STM). Will also serves as an M-day Company Commander in the Idaho Army National Guard. He was awarded a Masters of Engineering in Materials Science and Engineering at Boise State University in June of 2014 and is working towards obtaining his doctorate in Materials Science under the direction of Dr. Wan Kuang.
- William P. Klein, Charles N. Schmidt, Blake Rapp, Sadao Takabayashi, William B. Knowlton, Jeunghoon Lee, Bernard Yurke, William L. Hughes, Elton Graugnard, and Wan Kuang, Multiscaffold DNA Origami Nanoparticle Waveguides. (Nano Lett., 2013, 13 (8), pp. 3850 – 3856, http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl401879r
- Sadao Takabayashi, William P. Klein, Craig Onodera, Blake Rapp, Juan Flores-Estrada, Elias Lindau, Lejmarc Snowball, Joseph T. Sam, Jennifer E. Padilla, Jeunghoon Lee, William B. Knowlton, Elton Graugnard, Bernard Yurke, Wan Kuang and William L. Hughes, High Precision and high yield fabrication of dense nanoparticle arrays onto DNA origami at statistically independent binding sites. Nanoscale, 2014, 6, 13928-13938, http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2014/nr/c4nr03069a#!divAbstract
Conference Presentations and Posters
- William P. Klein*, Eric Bullock, Incorporation of Guest Molecules on the Self-Assembled Supramolecular Complex on Graphite, Oral and poster presentation, American Chemical Society Puget Sound Section Undergraduate Research Symposium, (Bellingham, Washington; 2006).
- William P. Klein*, Eric Bullock, The Construction and Testing of a Scanning Tunneling Microscope for Imaging Individual Molecules in Surface Self-Assembly, Oral and poster presentation, Symposium on University Research and Creative Expression (SORCE) (Ellensburg, Washington; May, 2007)
- W. P. Klein*, C. N. Schmidt, S. Takabayashi, B. Yurke, W. B. Knowlton, E. Graugnard, J. Lee, W. Kuang, Far-field spectroscopy of individual surface plasmon waveguides assembled on DNA templates. (Boise, Idaho; June, 2012).
- William P. Klein*, Nick Schmidt, Sadao Takabayashi, Nathan Robinson, Bernard Yurke, William B. Knowlton, Jeunghoon Lee, Wan Kuang, Elton Graugnard. Towards Far-field Spectroscopy of Individual Surface Plasmon Waveguides Assembled on DNA Templates. Poster presentation, Undergraduate Research Conference (UGRC) (Boise State University, Boise, Idaho; April, 2012).
- Sadao Takabayashi, William P. Klein, Blake Rapp, Elias Lindau**, Lejmarc Snowball**, Jeunghoon Lee, William B. Knowlton, Bernard Yurke, Elton Graugnard, Wan Kuang, William L. Hughes, Maximizing Nanoparticle Attachment onto DNA Origami Nanotubes, poster presentation at the Foundations of Nanoscience conference (FNANO) (Snowbird, Utah; April 14 – 19, 2013)
- William P. Klein, Charles Schmidt**, Blake Rapp, Sadao Takabayashi, William B. Knowlton, Elton Graugnard, Jeunghoon Lee, Bernard Yurke, William L. Hughes, and Wan Kuang. DNA Origami Templated Self-Assembly for Nanophotonic Devices and Materials, presentation at the Foundations of Nanoscience conference (FNANO) (Snowbird, Utah; April 14 – 19, 2013)
- William P. Klein, Sadao Takabayashi, Bernard Yurke, William Knowlton, Elton Graugnard, Jeunghoon Lee, William Hughes and Wan Kuang. Plasmonic Chiral Structures Assembled by DNA Origami. Poster presentation at the Foundations of Nanoscience conference (FNANO) (Snowbird, Utah; April 14 – 18, 2014)
- Reza M. Zadegan, William P. Klein, Christopher Green, Elias G. Lindau, Huizheng Huang, William Knowlton, Bernard Yurke, Elton Graugnard, Jeunghoon Lee, Wan Kuang, and William Hughes. Global Twisting of Origami with Intercalators. Poster presentation at the Foundations of Nanoscience conference (FNANO) (Snowbird, Utah; April 11- 16, 2016)
- Adobe Photoshop CC and Illustrator CC
- Origin 2016
- Microsoft Office 2016
- Microsoft Project 2016
- Autodesk Maya 2016
- Autodesk Inventor
Instruments and Techniques
- JEOL JEM-2100 HR Analytical Transmission Electron Microscope (TEM)
- Nikon Eclipse Ti Darkfield Microscope
- Bruker MultiMode 8 Atomic Force Microscope (AFM)
- Agilent Cary 5000 UV-Vis-NIR Spectrometer
- Princeton Instruments Acton SP2300 Spectrometer
- Princeton Instruments ProEM 512 Camera
- Scanning Tunneling Microscopy (STM)
- Gel Electrophoresis